Sunday, January 3, 2010

What did YOU have for breakfast?

It's snowing out. I think we have close to 2 feet at this point and it isn't slowing down! The mess started yesterday afternoon and I have to tell you... I'm sick of it. I know, I know... I live in Vermont and I shouldn't be shocked but can I get a breather here??? With the beginning of a new year I decided like many people that I need to hop back on the fitness and eating healthy wagon. Well... this WAS supposed to start yesterday but you know with this snow I needed one more thing before I started my healthy kick: Stuffed French Toast!

I'm not a huge fan of french toast but this is stuff is to die for! I tried it when I went to Ihop a year or so ago and I fell in love and I set out to find a recipe online that would satisfy my Ihop craving. Oh and I should mention that Vermont didn't have an Ihop until 3 months ago. It's a slow state and I love the state for it but at times like the Ihop craving, it doesn't make me very happy.

Well I finally came across a recipe called IHOP Stuffed French Toast and tried it with some tweaking. Can I just tell you... no one in my family will now touch the Ihop version after having mine! In your face Ihop!

So please enjoy the recipe and I look forward to hearing what you think!

Heather's Stuffed French Toast

1 loaf of French or Italian bread
5 eggs
1 can evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
Cinnamon to taste

Filling
1- 8oz. package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Beat the cream cheese until nice and smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla until thoroughly mixed and put it into a decorator's bag or if you don't have one, use a ziploc bag and cut the corner off.



Mix the eggs, evaporated milk, sugar and vanilla together and flavor it with cinnamon if you wish.

Take your bread and cut your slices a little thick and then cut those pieces in half but not all of the way. You want to make it so it is like a hot dog bun. After the slices are all prepared, take your piping bag and fill all of the pockets.



Dip your filled bread into the egg mixture and place in your pan to cook. I think we all know how to cook french toast so I won't get into it but will show you a nice picture instead.




These are best when eaten right away with the warmth of the bread making your filling oozing! We always use a pie filling to top it or perhaps just syrup. Whatever floats your boat! We've even stuffed sausage in with the filling. You can't loose!




Doesn't that look amazing??? If it doesn't... check out the next one!





Enjoy but don't blame the added weight on me!



0 comments:

Post a Comment